Whether old, or newly designed; village halls and community centres often have severe acoustic issues related to design. Traditionally, these spaces were used for theatre, oratory performances, and community meetings. As these spaces were refurbished with time, absorptive materials such as curtains and carpet were replaced with hard, reflective surfaces that are easily cleaned – such as hard wooden floors. The multi-purpose nature of village halls, however, expanded to include activities such as yoga, concerts and fetes. This meant that these spaces were not able to be tailored in design to each of these activities, and the open, hollow nature of halls remains.
The result is usually poor village hall acoustics – high reverberation times compounded by large social gatherings; creating hollow echo chambers.
- Absorptive materials such as curtains and carpet in old village halls have been replaced over time with modern extensions with an emphasis on hard and easy-to-clean surfaces such as hard floor and concrete blocks.
- Nowadays, the majority of surfaces in village halls are hard, reverberant surfaces – plasterboard, glass, concrete and metal cladding.
- Hard surfaces mean that up to 95% of noise reverberates around the room.
- Reverberation time in village halls is often around 4 seconds or more – Resonics recommends a reverbeation time of less than 1.5 seconds for good speech intelligibility in village halls.
- As gathering spaces, the acoustics in village halls also suffer from large crowds that amplify reverberant noise in rooms. This effectively creates an echo chamber – with words being lost and music and films losing auditory clarity.
- Modern village halls are multi-use spaces; meaning their building design will never be acoustically suitable for various activities.
- We offer straight-forward acoustic solutions that create a comfortable sound environment for a range of activities.
- We understands that village halls are often community-run and that any acoustic solution must be cost-effective. Village hall acoustic panel solutions are tailored to meet almost any budget.As a space able to be hired out for various events, village halls are often a source of income for the local community.
- We offer a range of installations that can add to the aesthetics of the existing space, or that came remain anonymous in the space and not pose a physical or visual impediment.
- Our acoustic survey, full design and no obligation quotation service is completely free of charge throughout the UK.
- We focus on design, creating innovative, visually pleasing installations.
- Our noise assessment and design process ensures we specify the exact quantity of acoustic treatment required. Ensuring there is little waste and our customers are not over spending.
- We work closely with the leading acoustic product manufacturers to get the best prices for our customers.
- Our installers have a wealth of experience and knowledge meaning they can install even the most complex of acoustic systems.
Much better! was one of the comments. In a mother & toddler group with up to 40 children which was a wall of noise as you entered the hall, the noise has become just a background hubbub. One group was thinking of having background music as their meeting was too quiet!
Thank you so much for the works that you have done, we had our nativity play this morning and the difference in the hall was amazing, thank you again
Thank you. I am delighted with the quality of the work. The final solution, attitude and communication were excellent.
We are absolutely delighted with the work! What a difference to the acoustics of the hall – so much better!
We are delighted with the work and attention to detail – especially in designing an interesting and aesthetic layout. There is also, of course, a considerable improvement in acoustic performance.